Friday, January 30, 2009

Avery #4 now Shipping


Just got them in the mail, and good thing there were two because B and I were at them immediately. This is easily one of the prettiest things I've been in. A really, really nice job Steph and Adam et. al have done w/ this one. Very hard to leave it and go to work.

My story is called "In Lieu of My Final Paper." Here's the first part from memory:

"Prodigious thanks, first of all, Professor Saloman, for considering what I wrote in my March 12 email and granting me an incomplete. You yourself could not hope for such clemency if you tried emailing us with excuses like mine and saying you could not give us grades. I am very aware of this. Awareness in general is definitely on the rise in my case, even as I deal with the confusion of my parents' divorce and my mother's collapse...."

Some others in #4, again from memory: Kevin Canty, Hannah Tinti, Jamie Iredell, and Jessica Breheny, who I never managed to meet when I was in Santa Cruz (though my friend Liz Bennett did her best!).

Late add-on: just read at the Avery blog that Emma is going to be at AWP w/ the issue. Stop by their table for sure...

3 comments:

Matt Bell said...

Hey Scott! It's a great story. I got my copy of Avery the other day, and sat down and read your story this morning. Very funny, and the back and forth appearances of the mom and dad work really well. And, of course, the excerpts from the assignment sheet, which sounds chillingly like my own...

Scott Garson said...

thanks matt that's great to hear!

Jamie Iredell said...

Loved your story, Scott.