Thursday, November 8, 2007

Quick Fiction #12

Confession: I sometimes send stories out to journals I've never read. A couple of years ago, I sent a story called "Lucky" to a journal whose name appeared in the back of the BASS, Quick Fiction. I didn't then know that QF only publishes stories under 500 words, and it was just by chance that my story was about that long. They took that story -- Adam and Jennifer Pieroni, who run QF. I couldn't believe how great the issue was when it arrived (#9). I don't think I've ever read another contributor's copy in the space of a single day. Pedro Ponce was in it, and some other really fantastic writers: Kim Addonizio, Kim Chinquee, Jeff Parker, Edith Pearlman....

I figured that now that I knew how good QF was, I'd never get in again, but I was wrong. My story "Front Yard on the East Side of Forty Second" is in the upcoming issue, which is available for pre-order here. Again I'm in some okay company: Girija Tropp, Mary Miller, Blake Butler....

No comments: